Potty Mouth Training

Sunday, December 03, 2006

As Seen in the Wall Street Journal...Editorial by Yvette Corporon

I admit it. I did it. I jumped.

At nine months pregnant and with 50 extra pounds packed on to my petite frame, I performed a fully extended and elegant swan dive right off the corporate ladder and into the pool of full-time parenthood.

Me, the adrenaline addicted, overextended, workaholic Emmy Award winning news producer, decided she was going to take all of that drive, passion and purpose and funnel it in to being a full time mother. So, at 32 years old, I quit my job as Editorial Producer for WCBS-News and channeled all of my creative energy into catering to the needs and whims of my newborn..

I quickly realized that as much as I adored my baby, something was missing from life. Well, guess what – a few things were missing; adult interaction, stimulation, a sense of accomplishment, interesting dinner conversation with my husband, financial security and perhaps the most disturbing missing element of all – my identity.

After several months of self-imposed mommy exile, I rejoined the workforce and took a job as a freelance producer for Good Morning America. Professionally, I was in heaven. Writing and producing for Diane Sawyer, Charlie Gibson and Robin Roberts was the proverbial dream come true. But again, even thought I was professionally fulfilled, personally, I was miserable. There were so many days and nights spent away from my family - nights, weekends, holidays, I felt my daughter’s infancy was slipping away, and I was missing it.

So, once again, I jumped. And like Goldilocks and her search for the perfect porridge, I set out to find the perfect professional/parenting fit.

Today, I’m a producer for the Syndicated Television Show EXTRA. I’m still writing and producing, only this time I’ve traded in undercover shoots and investigations for the world of celebrities and red carpet premieres. I’m still doing what I love for people I respect and admire, only this time I’m home mostly every night to put my kids to bed.

Do I believe in balance? Not in the traditional sense. I don’t believe in complete balance, but I do believe in a better balance. As working mothers, we make choices every single day of our lives. Are you willing to miss an important meeting in order to make it home for trick or treating? Will you blow off a ballet recital to nail a new client? Can you take a detour and put your professional dreams on hold in order to hold your children at night?

I chose to leave my dream job in order to spend more time with my family. Some corporate killers may judge me, say I sold out or couldn’t handle it. I don’t see it that way. One day, when my children are bit older, I’ll once again break through my personal glass ceiling – and when it happens, I won’t be content to sit there picking shrapnel off my suit. I’ll keep climbing, higher and higher. But it will be when I’m ready and at my own pace.

As for life right now, since I’m home at night and my kids are asleep by 8:30, I’ve found another way to pursue my professional dreams. I’ve spent the last year writing a book about the crazy lives of working moms. It’s called Peeing In Peace…Tales and Tips For Type A Moms (January 2007, NK Publications). My co-author is Beth Feldman, VP of the CBS Communications group. Beth never jumped off the ladder like I did, she’s stayed on course and kept climbing steadily higher and higher.

That’s the funny thing about being a working mom, the rest of the world is consumed with that ridiculous question, can they really have it all? We don’t waste our time asking questions, we’re too busy finding answers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home